Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Yemeni president fakes another ceasefire to fool international community, 15 killed in San'a and Taiz
A government announced ceasefire came to an end after government forces attacked protesters and opposition positions in Sana’a and Taiz. The Yemen Post reported that government officials announced Tuesday afternoon that a truce had been agreed upon by the opposition and president Saleh. The ceasefire was meant to take place at 3pm, but residents in Taiz said the shelling was still ongoing well passed 4.30pm. Several families in Taiz were seen fleeing the war zone to neighboring villages, too terrified at the idea of spending another night in the city, where residential areas were randomly shelled.
In Sana'a, the truce also failed to take hold. Tribal sources said at least one man was killed and nine people were wounded when shelling rocked the northern Al-Hasaba neighborhood. Altogether at least 15 people were killed, AFP reported, quoting medical officials and tribal sources in both cities.
According to the official announcement the cease fire was between the government and dissident general Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar. Tribal forces in Al-Hasaba led by powerful chief Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, who is just like general Mohsen on the side of the opposition, also agreed to the ceasefire, sources in his office told AFP. The government statement said the truce went into immediate effect, But Sadiq's brother, Sheikh Hemyar, told AFP that President Ali Abdullah Saleh's troops continued to attack the Ahmar family's homes. Eyewitnesses said that no real ceasefire took place but the strategy was a tactic by the government to fool the international community and act as if it calls for peace. AFP reported that according to the American State Department Saleh told the US ambassador in Sana'a on Tuesday that he is committed to a plan brokered by Gulf states that calls on him to quit 30 days after signing the deal in exchange for immunity from prosecution.