The Iranian-made drone shot down over the Negev last week beamed back "images of secret Israeli military sites" and images of the preparations of the joint Israel-US military exercise, the Israeli newssite YNet (Yediot Ahronot) writes on Sunday, quoting the British Sunday Times. It appears that the flight of the drone may have been a lot more damaging than the Israeli military have been willing to admit.
Also it remains a mystery how the unmanned aircraft could have stayed as long in the air over Israel, as the Sunday Times reveals, before it finally was shot down. According to what the Sunday Times' correspondent Uzi Mahnaimi in Tel Aviv reported, the drone apparently was airborne for three hours before it was intercepted, and was able to relay "images of ballistic missile sites, main airfields and possibly the Dimona reactor.
The report also mentions a detail first reported by Yedioth Ahronoth, saying that the first interception attempt failed and that the drone was shot down at a second attempt.
Mahnaimi further cited an Israeli defense source saying, "How could we defend this country from thousands of rockets and missiles if we can’t block a single Iranian drone?"
Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Hezbollah, declared on Thursday that the drone had been assembled and piloted by his movement. He called the flight an unprecedented achievement in “the history of the resistance.” In a televised, 50-minute speech Nasrallah said the drone had been designed in Iran and assembled by Hezbollah experts in Lebanon.
“It is our right to send other drones whenever we want,” he said, noting that Israel frequently violated Lebanese airspace. “It was not the first time and it will not be the last.”