Monday, November 16, 2015
Israel kills two Palestinians in Qalandia during raid to demolish house
Israeli forces killed two Palestinians in the Qalandiya refugee camp at dawn on Monday during a raid to demolish the home of an alleged Palestinian attacker, witnesses said.
Israeli soldiers shot and killed Laith Assad Munasra, 21, and Ahmad Abu al-Aish, 28, as clashes broke out following a raid involving hundreds of Israeli forces in the densely populated refugee camp. These two were the 87th and 88th Paletiniasn who were killed since 1 October. Dozens of other Palestinians were injured in the clashes, with Yusuf Abu Latifa, 17, critically wounded. Witnesses said Israeli forces stopped an ambulance he was being carried in and detained him while he was en route to hospital.
Israeli soldiers forced residents to evacuate their homes in the camp before demolishing the top floor of an apartment belonging to Muhammad Abu Shahin. Witnesses told Ma'an that Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters at Palestinian ambulances attempting to reach those wounded in the raid.
Israeli forces entered the camp from all sides after closing off nearby roads and the Qalandiya military checkpoint.An Israeli army spokesperson said that Israeli forces entered the camp in order to demolish the home of Muhammad Abu Shahin, a suspect in the killing of an Israeli settler on June 19 near the settlement of Dolev, northwest of Ramallah. "During the activity, suspects opened fire at the forces. In response to the immediate danger, forces fired towards the attackers. 3 hits were confirmed," Israel's army said. ''In addition, hundreds of Palestinians attacked the force, hurling fire bombs, IEDs and rocks. Forces used riot dispersal means in order to disperse the mob," the Israeli army added.
Palestinian gunmen inside of the refugee camp -- believed to be affiliated with Fatah’s Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades -- have opened fire on Israeli forces in at least two instances last month, preventing Israeli forces from carrying out demolitions.
Israel on Friday demolished four homes belonging to the families of Palestinians accused of carrying out deadly attacks on Israeli settlers, three in Nablus and one in Silwad.