Monday, March 4, 2013
At least four killed during renewed clashes in Port Said
Dozens of protesters attacked the Port Said Security Directorate with Molotov cocktails Sunday, setting the directorate on fire and completely destroying it, after the authorities decided to transfer 39 prisoners charged with involvement in last year's Port Said stadium disaster from the Suez canal city to Wadi Natroun jail in Egypt's Beheira governorate. The ministry of health, which has been documenting casualties' toll throughout the day, said that four people were killed during the incidents and that at least 39 other people were injured by gunshots throughout the day including 7 army and CSF personnel. All in all some 404 people were injured in clashes between police and protesters near the security directorate, according to the health ministry, at least 260 of which suffered teargas inhalation during the clashes.
Anger has continued to brew in Port Said more than a month after fierce fighting broke out in the Suez Canal city after a court sentenced 21 people to death over violence at a football match last year. About 40 people died in the post-verdict clashes between protesters and security forces so far.
In last year's violence at least 72 people died — mostly supporters of Cairo’s Ahly team — when Masry team fans stormed the pitch, attacking Ahly fans. Many observers have also blamed security forces for not stopping the violence. The Port Said Criminal Court is set to convene for a related case over the football violence on 9 March.