Sunday, December 25, 2011
Troops loyal to Saleh kill 13 participants of Yemeni 'March of Life'
At least 13 anti government marchers were killed on Saturday during the “March of Life”. Protesters were attacked in the outskirts of Sana’a, near Dar Salm district. Eyewitnesses told the Yemen Post that pro government gunmen were on rooftops and shot directly at protesters. Among the 13 killed, seven were shot in the head. Medical staff in change square Sana’a told the Yemen Post that the total number of injuries exceed 200 while claiming that many of the injured were not reported to the camp due to the far distance between the attack area and the camp.
The attackers of the march of about 100.000 were forces under the command of relatives of president Ali Abdallah Saleh.
The march started five days earlier in the city of Taiz as an impressive means to convey the message to the international community that the participants refused the immunity that was granted to president Saleh and his relatives in the Gulf peace initiative for Yemen. The participants walked 250 kilometers passing cities in the governorates of Ibb, Dhamar and Sana'a. On the way they were joined by many. The march was heading to Sana'a Altaghyeer Square ('Change Square') at the center of Sana'a city where it was going to join the youth protesters who camp there since several months.