Sunday, March 9, 2014
At least 30 people killed during new clashes in north of Yemen
At least 30 people were killed over two days of clashes between Shi'ite Houthi fighters and tribesmen affiliated to the Ahmar clan and the Muslim Brotherhood (members of al-Islah political faction) have reached new high over the past few days as clashes have resumed in Yemen's northwestern al-Jawf province.
The tribesmen are believed to have instigated the violence when they challenged Houthi elements on areas which fall under their control, keen to reclaim al-Jawf. The Houthis whose zone of influence has grown over the past two years well beyond its original stronghold in Sa’ada (northern province) have proven a potent threat, both politically and militarily to the Brotherhood and its affiliates in the region, thus generating severe tensions in Yemen highlands. Both factions have been bent on affirming their supremacy over the other, igniting tensions.
"The Presidential Commission intervened to stop the fighting after heavy losses on both sides amounted to 30 people dead and dozens injured," al-Jawf governor Mohammed bin Aboud, said. He said an agreement has been reached to stop the clashes.
Fighting in the north escalated in October and there have been bursts of fighting since then. Last month at least 13 people were killed when Houthi fighters clashed with security fighters in northern Yemen.
While the mediation committee attempted to restore calm, locals have warned that Saudi Arabia’s outlawing of the Brotherhood and the Houthis on Friday would add yet more fuel to an already raging fire.
Saudi King Abdullah announced on Friday that a committee entrusted with identifying terror organizations had found the Muslim Brotherhood and the Houthis, among many others, to be among such groups and thus outlawed them.