Saturday, March 12, 2016

Israel kills 10-year and six year old in Gaza

A ten-year-old Palestinian was killed and his sister seriously injured in an Israeli airstrike launched early Saturday in the northern Gaza Strip after rockets were fired from the besieged enclave.
Spokesman for the Gaza Ministry of Health Ashraf al-Qidra confirmed the death of Yasin Suleiman Abu Khusah,10, and told Ma’an his six-year-old sister Israa had sustained serious head injuries during the strike. Israa later died.
A Ma’an reporter based in Gaza said the children were in their house at the time of the strike, located in northwestern Beit Lahiya, adding that the family was still living in their home that was partially destroyed during the most recent Israeli offensive on the strip in 2014. Israa was transferred to Shifa Medical Center in Gaza City from Indonesian Hospital in Beit Lahiya due to critical injuries, al-Qidra said.
The Israeli army said the Israeli air force targeted four Hamas sites in the northern Gaza Strip after four rockets were fired from the strip Friday evening.
The rockets landed in open areas in southern Israel, the army said, without reporting damage or injuries.Head Israeli army spokesman Peter Lerner following the incident called the rocket attack an “example of extremist incessant efforts to threaten the security and safety of the people of southern Israel.”Lerner, citing a total of seven rockets fired from the strip since the start of the year, said the military would “continue to protect against those who threaten innocent lives and Israel’s sovereignty.”
Some 30 people have been killed by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip since the beginning of laste October.A two-year-old Palestinian and her pregnant mother were killed in October when an Israeli air strike caused their home to collapse in southern Gaza City, a five-year-old was killed by unexploded ordnance last month, and a number of others were shot dead during demonstrations near the borderline.
At least two Israeli soldiers were wounded in a reported shooting attack at an Israeli military checkpoint near Ramallah in the occupied West Bank on Friday evening, the Israeli army said.
An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an that a gunman shot at Israeli soldiers when their vehicle was stopped at a checkpoint near Ramallah, wounding two soldiers who were evacuated to the hospital. Israeli forces were searching the area after the assailant fled the scene by foot, the spokesperson said.
Israeli forces during predawn raids on Friday ordered the closure of Falastin al-Yawm (Palestine Today) and TransMedia Production Company in the occupied West Bank hub of Ramallah, locals said. Locals told Ma’an that forces stormed the media outlets’ headquarters in al-Bireh and detained two journalists, confiscated property, and delivered military orders for the offices to be shut down.The journalists were identified as Muhammad Amro from Hebron and Shbeib Shbeib from Burqa near Nablus. Both were taken to the Israeli miltiary base in the nearby illegal settlement of Beit El.Israeli forces also detained head of the Falastin al-Yawm Faruq Elayyat from his home in Birzeit, a town near Ramallah.

No comments: