Thursday, July 2, 2015
Egyptian security forces kill 9 Muslim Brothers
The Egyptian army used Apache helicopters in the battle against the attack by the Islamists in the Sinai (see below).
Nine Muslim Brotherhood leaders were killed by police on Wednesday, with conflicting reports on the conditions of their death.The Interior Ministry said in a statement that Brotherhood leader Abdel Fattah Ibrahim was leading a meeting, held in Cairo's October 6 suburb, to discuss "plots" to carry out "terrorist" attacks.
The police said they were shot at upon approaching the meeting point, adding that they responded with fire killing Ibrahim and 8 others.
The deceased also include Muslim Brotherhood lawyer Nasser al-Hafi, the deputy director of investigation in Giza, Magdi Abdelaal said earlier on Wednesday.
According to the police statement, preliminary information indicated that this group has supported all recent "acts of violence and assassinations". On Monday, prosecutor general Hisham Barakat was assassinated in a car bomb attack in Cairo.
However, Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Mohamed Montaser said the leaders who were killed were "unarmed", adding that the reports on clashes with security forces are "lies", in a statement posted on a Brotherhood website.The spokesman added that the meeting took place in an apartment and that they were discussing supporting the "orphans of martyrs".
Earlier on Wednesday, a source had told Aswat Masriya that 13 "terrorists" were killed by Egyptian security forces after a gunfire exchange, in headquarters belonging to "terrorists" in October 6.
This comes on the one of the deadliest days for Egypt, after militants launched simultaneous attacks on Egyptian security sites in North Sinai.
The General Command of the Armed Forces on Thursday issued its first official statement on Wednesday’s battles against Islamist militants who attacked army posts earlier in the day.The statement said that the army killed more than 100 militants during its counter-attacks in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah cities. It also highlighted that 17 army personnel including four officers were killed during the fighting and 13 others were injured.The army also said that it has destroyed 20 vehicles used by the Islamist militants to launch their attack.
On Thursday 22 Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis militants were killed in an air strike launched early Thursday in Rafah, North Sinai, by Egyptian air forces, reported Reuter’s Aswat Masriya. Military sources told Aswat Masriya that the 22 militants were killed in the early hours of Thursday by an Apache helicopter. On Wednesday, North Sinai witnessed the largest terrorist attack of its kind by ABM militants where the battles between the Egyptian armed forces and militants continued for several hours, especially in Sheikh Zuweid area.